Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Week 7 - Best Teacher Gifts

What are the teacher gifts you most appreciate?

When I first thought of using this topic as a blog post, I almost cringed. This could be perceived as a very selfish type of post. Though, as someone not currently in the classroom, I felt a bit more safe talking about it.

Types of gifts and numbers of gift teachers receive for holidays, teacher appreciation, or end of the year thank yous vary incredibly. A few of my friends that teach elementary school in fairly affluent attendance areas need to make a plan just to deal with all of the loot they can be given for each of the above occasions. My husband taught and coached high school in a lower income area for eight years and could probably count on both hands how many gifts he received his entire time there (and yes, the students did like him).

Move over to Pinterest and there are entire boards devoted to ideas. They range from cutesy crafts to extremely functional school supplies. Baked goods seem to make their way onto teachers' desks every year. Coffee cards can also be a good stand by for some parents.

Of course it is the thought that counts. But practically speaking, if a parent really wanted to know what you, as a teacher, would appreciate the most, what would it be?


3 comments:

  1. I'm more like your husband, though I can probably count the number of gifts I've gotten on one hand. I had one 10th grade boy give me his favorite eraser for Christmas one year. I hated to take it but I couldn't not. I still have it. It is a little ghost....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I know was probably very meaningful for him! I think a lot of teachers have a drawer that many little items they are gifted end up over time. I had some notes, cards and pictures that moved with me from room to room and are still in my home office right now because I don't have a classroom.

      Delete
  2. I always feel so uncomfortable taking gifts from students. I always find it to be very awkward and I want to make sure they know that I have utilized it. Not that I get many, but I teach 8th grade and get the occasional parent who hasn't figured out that it is not the "cool" thing for their kid to do anymore. But honestly, my favorite gifts are the genuine thank yous, where a kid notes something positive I have done for them that year. That means the most!

    ReplyDelete