Monday, August 1, 2016

Varieties of Cornell Notes in a Middle School Social Studies classroom...

In my last teaching position, my school was focusing on common language and strategies across contents. Cornell Notes were the style of notes agreed upon by our school. I loved using them, but was just getting my toes wet. There are so many more ways to use them and in deeper capacity. One of our main goals was to introduce students to the structure

Here are some of the ways I incorporated this style of notes into my middle school classroom:

Research Notes: 

One of the skills heavily focused on in the middle school social studies curriculum was researching. In an attempt to encourage students to focus on one source/website and get as much information out as possible before moving on, we used one page of Cornell Notes per source. Students would fill out the bibliography information in the top margin, write their research question at the top of the notes, fill in information that helped them answer their question in the notes section, and reflected on how that source was helpful at the bottom of the page. This structure helped keep them focus and the reflection helped build their capacity for an annotated bibliography.


Current Event Stories:

When teaching students expectations at the beginning of the year, there can be a lot of scaffolding for any given reading and note-taking activity. I enjoyed using the Cornell Notes for Current Events. I would provide an Essential Question and would often start the year providing the headings, or chunking the article, for the notes section. Students would wrap up the article reading with a summary.




Video Notes:

Even media clips and short videos can create an opportunity to practice note-taking skills. Depending on the type of clip, the headings for the notes section can be added to guide students through the content. I enjoyed used these more than guided notes for media clips.

8 comments:

  1. Katy, my daughter had a middle school teacher who taught her to take notes using the Cornell method. She claims (my daughter, that is) that they have revolutionized her studies. As someone who never shows videos without requiring my students to take notes, I especially like your video note page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! It was probably my favorite note-taking system to use as a teacher. It is hard for me to know how much of that was influenced by it being a common strategy in our school or just because they are awesome. I am glad they have worked well for your daughter!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for these examples. I just planned a blog post asking about help with different note-taking ideas. These may be something to look into to organize information in a project-based learning class where activities may not all be occuring on the same day at the same time. How long does it usually take to introduce in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so I would say first off, my examples are pretty weak in representing the system as a whole, just a disclaimer. But I would highly encourage you to look into how they are used by others as well. I am a huge fan!

      As I mentioned, it was a school-wide adoption for note-taking, so when I introduced it, there were several students that had already been exposed in Science or English. I think I allotted about 30 minutes the first time and it may have been too much (but that was with a lot of them being exposed already). I showed a quick video clip (there are several on youtube and I can't even remember which one I used), and then had students practice the set up themselves. I was generally pretty slow at releasing students to do things on their own (they were 7th graders, the first year of middle school in the district, and they had a lot going on). I do recall getting a few eye-rolls by week 2 when I would check in on how well they were setting them up.
      I also provided a model/resource example for them to keep in their binders so they had that as a reference throughout the year.
      Also, there are a lot of ways to use Cornell Notes, so you can focus on the set up without trying to teach too many new skills if that is needed. I didn't do the "levels of questioning" at the beginning of the year at all, but I imagine that would take more time.
      I hope you find a system that works for you!

      Delete
  3. I had heard about Cornell notes years ago but has forgotten all about them. Thanks for the great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you can use them as an option in your classroom. They can be really great.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the post! I never knew that this ever existed. I will have to use these for my Social Studies classes. I use a wide variety of teaching techniques for Social Studies, and I think this will help the students organize the information better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these work especially well in Social Studies! They can be very versatile. I don't know if I will go back to another way of note-taking after having so much success with these.

      Delete